Thursday, March 8, 2012

Yahppa, Finally He retires....


Lord's, Eden Gardens, Rawalpindi, Adelaide. Isnt it obviously evident that in this soil and the honourboards of these stadiums has The Wall etched his place in history. I have missed two more important places. One, St. Joseph's school,Bangalore and second, in my heart. I know, am just amongst the countless writing a tribute to The Wall, I would be immensely guilty if i failed to do so today. I know I can never match the elegance of a la Rohit Brijnath nor can I measure upto the brilliance of a Sidvee.
Yet, Dravid, I dont know how much you have influenced world cricket and how much lesser will cricket be a gentleman's game from tomo? All i know is, you are responsible for getting my grades from A to B in a couple of exams. You made me the most boring batsman in my gully. Did
i stop? Do you realise, how many times I had to be the object of ridicule when you struggled to save the match for India? Yes, you played your heart out. But, for an area where I spent my childhood, you were just another good player.
When I started watching cricket, you were never my idol. I think I was 6 when I really started watching cricket. Sachin was my idol,yes he too he is still today. I was rather forced to become your fan. In those dusty gullys of Pune, where all the kids had to watch cricket together in a certain shop or hunt for a home where 'cable' was provided, when you made that 96 in Lords, I was converted into a Rahul Dravid, quite forcefully by my friends. I should have been 7-8 then. We both share our first names. And from therein, I became the Dravid of my area.
That evening onwards, I started behaving like you. However, I saw you on the stadium. I tried the crouched stance. I avoided audacious shots. I stopped getting out. Years later, during the summer holidays of 8th standard, with my cap firmly on head, just the way it decorates your head, I did not get out for 3 and half hours,before our moms yelled at us to get back into our pavilions! My 'Dravidification' was complete that day.
Dear Dravid, Why did you have to be so perfect?You are just not the perfect idol. There is not a single instance where, I can bunk my studies and reason it to mom, saying Dravid did this too. We know, you were the best allround student at St. Josephs. I wish, you were like one of those other overpaid starlets, who could do anything for money. We know, you shot your first ad for your dad's company. Jammy, my boy! I wish you were one of those who sported a tatoo. I never got into an argument for a run out or a catch, even in my local cricket for I never saw you drop your gentlemanliness a bit during the game. Oh yes,and how do I forget this? You've bowled, batted and even kept. You've done every thing that your team wanted. Why? You could even sit out of the team if they ever wanted you to!
But still, these are only the fringe effects of my obsession with you. The bigger malice, The bigger damage is I have stopped watching cricket these days. Slowly, one dayers started getting boring.How much ever, the adage that cricket is bigger than individuals, Its not enough to convince me. I fear for my passion today. Test cricket was. Every time, an opener fell. I was nervous. I was not happy to see you on the pitch soon. That frentic energy to see you. That nervous prayers. That relief to see you go past every milestone. That gasp when you teach us what discipline means by grinding out each bowler. That unmeasurable feeling of seeing the opposition bowler frustrated. That feeling of pride when I could tell the person sitting and watching next to me, “This is how you play the shot, my boy!”.
I dont know when I shall watch test cricket again. I might have scored a few lesser grades, wasted a few more hours. Yet, you have made my teenage and the two years after it, much much better than how it could have been.


P.S: This blog post is for my 10th std. benchmate Alisha Shah, whom I have troubled her much during my 10th. I can understand how much you would be pained.

No comments: